Followers

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Survey I Stumbled Upon (:

Name: Maddie/Madison

Age: 19

Location: Northern Nevada, USA

Background: Ethnically? I don't know much about my heritage, but I know I have some English, Irish, Greek, Finnish, and I think Dutch. I'm typical American: big giant mutt.

Spouse (if so, name and background):

How long have you been married?

Kids? I wish.

Are you a revert? Yep!

Have you been to Hajj or Umrah? Not yet.

How many masaajid have you been to? Just the local one. . . I don't get out much.

Have you ever been involved with a masjid? I signed up for the youth council but never heard anything since. :/

Who are some of your favorite lectures by? Don't have any right now, but I'd love recommendations!

Who are some of your favorite recitors? See above (: My Arabic teacher had a beautiful recitation playing once before class. I forgot who did it. ):

Some of your favorite Islamic books? Recommendations, please?

Describe your most memorable Eid: The only Eid where I did anything was last Eid Ul-fitr. I ate and played in a blowup castle, like all eighteen year olds.

When did you first start fasting? Umm, the day after converting. It was Ramadan, so.

When did you start hijab? I haven't yet.

What's your usual outift like when you go out? Long shirt with baggy pants, shirt and long skirt, long dress with a jacket. It depends on my mood.

What do you like about blogging? I can't explain it, but I really just love reading blogs.

Describe your first feelings wearing hijab
Very self-conscious. I was also very paranoid that a family member would see me and explode.

How do you pin your hijab? I like the typical rectangular scarf, or the square with one tail behind the head and one tail at the shoulder. . . Like how they do it in southeast Asia, I think?

What was on the last prayer mat you made salah on? A masjid. If it's an important one I should know of, I feel dumb.


What's your ideal iftar?
I don't like dates, so I usually try to break my fast with something else sweet and chewy like skittles, and water. Then I eat whatever I have lying around for my meal.

What type of adhaan really gets to you? The Makkan one.

What's something that annoys you at Jummah: All the people who walk in late, or the women who put their hijab on while sitting in the prayer hall. Huh?

What was the last surah you read? (not recited in salah) The Calf. Behiiind. I'm trying to pronounce it in Arabic, so it's slow going.

Do you dry yourself after wudu? That depends on if I'm going to roll my sleeves back down immediately, whether it's cold or hot, etc.

Do you brush your teeth for fajr salah? Not generally, unless I'm fasting.

Whats the last Islamic thing you've been involved with? I don't know.

What was the last convention you went to? I haven't been yet. ):

Have you ever been part of an Islamic matrimonial site? Yes, and I found a guy there that sounds like my soul mate LOL, but I forgot which site it was and I don't know if he ever responded to my contact request. ):
Seriously, the dude was a revert from the bay area of Northern California. He's a year older than me and is majoring in linguistics with hopes of traveling and teaching English abroad. Sigh.

What color is the rug in the masjid you usually attend? Uhhh, greenish?

Is the masjid you usually attend separated? Sort of. We don't have a separate room, but we do sit/pray behind the men, in a little enclave.

Have you ever stood in a minbar? No.

Have you ever washed a dead body before? No.

What's the last thing you ate in the masjid? I forget.

Where's the strangest place you've seen a Muslim working? A non-halal pizza parlor. Although I didn't so much see it as I did live it. Do live it. I can't find another job yet, sadly. ): Hoping to.

Have you ever posted a flier in the masjid? No.

Rate your masjid's bathroom: It's. . . okay?

Have you ever used a bidet for istinja?: No, but that sounds so convenient! Actually, I want a fancy Japanese toilet.

What's the weirdest thing that happened to you in salah? I can't think of anything.

Isn't it annoying when the imam tells everyone to shut off their cell phones and someone's phone rings in the middle of salah? YES.

What's some of the best halal food you've had (from a non Muslim country)? . . . Pineapple and olive pizza from Round Table? I just had some today, hehe. There are no halal restaurants in my area.

What was it like when you found out skittles were haram? I was sad, then I looked on the counters a week or two later and found out that Mars had recently made a transition into gelatin-free Skittles. I was happpyyy. (: It was like I was missing the candy for my whole life, not for a week LOL. Some sizes still have gelatin, though I haven't seen a normal-size bag with gelatin in like a year. I think the only sizes at risk are the big bags at the gas stations and stuff. Even the mini-sizes sold for Halloween are vegetarian!

What's something haram that you think most people don't know? Talking. When. The. Imam. Is. PREACHING.

What's the craziest hijabi fashion you've seen? A cap-sleeve T-shirt and cargo capris. . . With a beanie. ):

What did you like about this survey?? Good way to spend your early morning?

9 comments:

  1. Assalamu'alaikum. Just wanna say hello ;)
    I've been following your blog for about a few weeks (or maybe a month, I'm not sure) now. Uhh, hope you're not creep-ed out by this.
    Anyway, I really admire your strength and desire to learn more about Islam. Admittedly I might not be able to help you much but I really would like to make acquaintance with you and maybe we can exchange some infos or little tidbits about our beautiful religion with each other? No pressure, by the way. I'm sorry if I make you feel uncomfortable.
    Oh,and kudos for this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm going to use this survey in my blog, Insha'Allah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam aleikum Sis,
    interesting!!

    You said you need recommendations for lecturers? I really like sheikh Salem al Amry, he's very charismatic and not boring at all...
    I also like Khaled Yasin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cute.

    For lectures I like Hussanain Rajabali and Sayed Amar Nashawani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salaam alaikum sister :) feel free to join my muslimahs of islam its a social network i made its strictly for women and its really good for reverts to islam :) just click on the badge thats on my blog inshAllah you are good

    ReplyDelete
  6. i enjoy ammar nakshawani as well and rajabali is definately a good one. ahul bayt tv has a website with a live feed you might be interested in as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Asaalmu aliakaum,

    Late, I know, but I just stumbled on your blog and I had to comment. The part about the soul mate - awww, I feel for ya!! Too bad you can't remember the site/don't know if he responded. Khair, inshaallah (hopefully some good will come out of what Allah has willed). May Allah bless you with a good man best for your deen, dunya and akhirah :)

    anyways, this was fun to read and interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Maddie! I just found your awesome blog. Love it! I gave you an award at my blog
    http://furiouslyfabmuslim.blogspot.com/2011/03/so-khappy-for-my-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. So are you still a Muslim, you moron, or have you found another trendy bandwagon to jump on?

    ReplyDelete